Fast-track your journey to become a fully-qualified access arrangements assessor

Are you looking to become qualified as an access arrangements assessor this academic year? If so, our Certificate in Psychometric Testing, Assessment and Access Arrangements (CPT3A) will provide you will all the skills and knowledge required to successfully carry out this role and meet the JCQ requirements.

What’s covered?

Our highly-regarded CPT3A qualification comprises two modules. The first is the Certificate of Competence in Educational Testing (CCET) which will provide you with an understanding of the underlying principles of all psychometric tests and how to apply this knowledge in your setting – you’ll be able to identify the correct test, use it effectively and interpret the results. The Access Arrangements Course (AAC) will then build on this knowledge and focus on the exam access arrangements process so that you can complete the necessary access arrangements documentation in your setting with confidence.

Study options

If you wish to learn at your own pace, you can complete the CPT3A fully online, supported by an experienced and qualified tutor. Alternatively, to fast-track your learning, you can attend one of our 3-day intensive CCET courses followed by the AAC module online or via a 1-day intensive session. The dates of the intensive course are below – we have two CCET intensive courses next month, one in London on 13-15 March and the other in Birmingham on 20-22 March. 


London: Novotel London City. 13-15 March | 22-24 May | 3-5 July

Birmingham: IBIS Birmingham New Street. 20-22 March

Bristol: Aztec Hotel. 8-10 May

Leeds: Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa. 24-26 July


London: Novotel London South. 24 May | 28 June

Learn more and book your place today


To complete the full CPT3A, you will need to hold ‘an appropriate qualification to teach’ in order to meet the criteria set by the JCQ for all access arrangement assessors. Once you have completed the qualification with us, not only will you be a qualified access arrangements assessor but you will also gain 30 credits at level 7 which you can bring into our SEND Programme to achieve a postgraduate qualification.


Charanjit Kaur

I would like be trained for this. Kindly let me know the process

Reply to Charanjit Kaur
Margot Michaud

Hi Charanjit,

Thank you for your comment.

I have forwarded your details to our enquiries team who will be in touch shortly.

Kind regards,


Reply to Margot Michaud
Anna mcnamara

Hello, please could I find out how long it would take to complete the intensive course to enable me to complete access arrangements.

Reply to Anna mcnamara
Margot Michaud

Hi Anna,

Your query has been forwarded to our enquiries team who will be in touch shortly.

Kind regards

Reply to Margot Michaud

Is there any way of completing this without a teaching qual, but as an experienced learning support assistant?


Reply to Lucy

Hi Lucy, thanks so much for your question.

To become an access arrangements assessor, the JCQ requires that, as well as holding a suitable qualification in assessment, you also need to hold an appropriate qualification to teach and make recommendations for secondary aged or adult learners who have learning difficulties.

The JCQ deem you to have an appropriate qualification if you meet one of the following requirements:

– Hold qualified teacher status (QTS) or qualified teacher learning and skills (QTLS).
– Are an employed teacher in FE, HE or the independent sector.
– Have qualified as a higher level teaching assistant (HLTA), or are working as an HLTA.
– Have a level 5/7 SpLD specialist teacher/practitioner qualification which would make you eligible for ADG/ATS/APS status.
– Possess a teaching qualification, but do not work in a school setting (e.g. a consultant). If you tick this box, you will need to have access to students and test documents, etc.

Unfortunately if none of these statements apply to you, under the JCQ regulations, you would not be eligible to become an Exam Access Arrangement Assessor. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Reply to Amanda
chun pan

Hi there,
I work at SEN department in a secondary school as a senior learning support practitioner. I’ve been working with the SENDCo and the exam officer re AA. We have an assessor coming to school but I need to test the whole year group to make sure we know who needs to be assessed. I do part 1 of form 8(learning difficulty history, current difficulties in classroom and exams, etc). I also collect AA evidence. I have spoken to my line manager and she suggested I do a level 7 course so eventually I can look after all the business re AA at the school.
I have master’s degree but it’s not education. Could you please advise what the best route is for me to become a qualified assessor? I prefer doing the course while still working at the school.
Many thanks.

Chun Pan

Reply to chun pan
Amanda Woolf

Hi Chun, thank you for your enquiry.
It sounds as though our level 7 Certificate of Psychometric Testing, Assessment and Access Arrangements (CPT3A) course would enable you to carry out the required tasks, however there are some eligibility requirements. Please visit our webpage in order to view the JCQ requirements for Access Arrangement Assessors.

Reply to Amanda Woolf
Marie Ahanda

I have an MA in Psychology of Education including a psychometric module and have been assessing children in the past (I have more than 100 hours of practice). I also have a BDA level 5 as a specialist teacher and a PGCE. What would be the quickest route for me to update my qualification to be recognised by the JCQ please. Many Thanks

Reply to Marie Ahanda
Molly Pearson

Hello Marie,

From what you have told us, the quickest route to update your qualification, would be our Certificate in Psychometric Testing, Assessment and Access Arrangements (CPT3A). For more details on APL enquiries, please email us at, with more details on prior accreditations.

Reply to Molly Pearson

What do you think?


If you are reading this, please do not fill in the following field