“Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other” John F Kennedy
The National Professional Qualifications (NPQs) are a group of three new courses for staff in education settings at all levels who want to develop their knowledge, skills and confidence to lead successfully.
These courses offer participants the opportunity to:
- Gain the knowledge, skills and leadership behaviours they need to succeed
- Move ahead in their careers, through gaining a DfE-recognised qualification in leadership.
All three courses are designed by education practitioners and educational psychologists to provide current, innovative and practice-focused training that will give school leaders the insight and tools they need to become highly effective leaders.
For additional information about what Real Group can offer, see our NPQ Middle Leadership, NPQ Senior Leadership and NPQ Headship courses.
Our next NPQML and NPQSL cohorts start in January and the next NPQH cohort is in May, so book your place now.
Why take a course with us?
Real Training’s NPQ courses:
- Are developed by education practitioners for education practitioners with a strong focus on personal development, inclusion and improving outcomes for all.
- Include Positive Psychology and strengths-based approaches to leadership and change management
- Lead to the award of 30 M-Level credits (NPQML/SL) or 60 M-level credits (NPQH) from Middlesex University, which can be used towards further Masters level qualifications with Real Group or Middlesex University (subject to accreditation)
- Are based on Real Training’s practice-led learning model, which means you receive the content and theory you need, along with opportunities to make a difference to your setting through putting theory into practice and reflecting on the process
- Start with a 360° leadership behaviour assessment, which will help to establish your strengths, and identify behaviours to work on to improve your effectiveness, and
- Are flexible, with core content delivered online, so you can study at a pace that complements your professional and personal commitments
Real Training is working closely with four partner schools to develop and deliver the courses. They are:
You’ll never feel isolated on a Real Training NPQ course because a sense of community is developed through:
- Online interaction with tutors
- Support from a mentor, and
- Peer support, through interaction and collaboration with colleagues in your setting and with fellow participants from across the country, via an online forum.
All successful NPQ graduates will:
- Gain a highly valued, internationally respected, DfE accredited professional qualification
- Be awarded 30 or 60 M-level credits from Middlesex University (subject to accreditation)
- Know how to lead an education setting successfully, using evidence-informed approaches
- Lead and evaluate an intervention across their own and another setting to improve outcomes for children or young people and staff
- Develop their leadership and management skills, and their ability to work in partnership with colleagues, professionals from outside the setting, and parents and carers
- Enhance their own and others’ personal and professional development, and
- Gain a professional network of colleagues beyond their own setting.
What do the courses cover?
Course content covers seven key areas:
- Leading with impact
- Strategy and improvement
- Teaching and curriculum excellence
- Working in partnership
- Managing resources and risks, and
- Increasing capability.
In addition, the course will help you to develop the range of leadership behaviours, identified by DfE:
- Personal drive
- Integrity, and
How will you be assessed?
Each ‘Learning Experience’ you undertake on the Real Training NPQ courses will help you work towards completing the required assignment and meet the assessment criteria.
During the courses you will lead your team to design, implement and evaluate an improvement project in your setting, lasting at least two terms, designed to:
- Improve pupils’ progress and attainment
- Develop your leadership skills, and
- Grow the capability of your team.
For the NPQH you will also undertake a placement in another school, lasting at least nine days. Real Training will work with you to arrange this placement. You will identify the placement school’s current or projected resource and capability challenges and design an action plan to address these. You will present your plan to the placement school’s governing body for feedback, and submit a 2,500 word written account of the project.
How are the courses delivered?
The courses are delivered on line through our interactive learning platform, Campus Online.
You will be guided through the course by a narrative that:
- Supports your progress
- Presents tasks clearly, and
- Provides you with content that complements your learning every step of the way.
Experienced online tutors with recent or current leadership experience in schools will be on hand to support you through your learning journey.
An online forum gives you the opportunity to share practice and to discuss and debate issues with others working towards the NPQ, from across the country.
Do you have an undergraduate degree?
You will need an undergraduate degree to take this course as our NPQ qualifications are accredited at Masters level.
Are you already working in an education setting?
These courses are designed for current and aspiring leaders working in education settings.
Which NPQ courses is right for you?
- NPQML is for those who are currently, or are aspiring to become, middle leaders with responsibility for leading a team. You might perhaps be a key stage leader, a curriculum leader, a subject leader, a head of department, or a pastoral services leader.
- NPQSL is for those who are currently, or are aspiring to become, senior leaders with responsibilities across an education setting. You might perhaps be an experienced middle leader, a deputy or assistant head, a SENCO, an or advanced skills teacher. You’ll be looking for professional development, but not aspiring to headship at this stage of your career.
- NPQH is, normally, for those who are highly motivated to become headteachers. You should, normally, be no more than 12 to 18 months from applying for headship posts and ready to take up a headship as soon as you complete the course. You will need to have the full support and endorsement of a sponsor. Usually, this will be your headteacher or line manager.
If you are unsure which course is for you, speak to our course advisers on 01273 35 80 80.
How much do the courses cost?
NPQH – £2,750 plus VAT
NPQSL – £1,750 plus VAT
NPQML – £1,350 plus VAT
Speak to us (01273 358080) or make a booking.